5th RRPG International Conference and Field Study
“Managing Rural Change in Turbulance World: Towards a Resilient and Sustainable Rural Society”
The 5th RRPG International Conference and Field Study will be held by Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) and Institute for Rural Advancement (INFRA) Malaysia, in Bangi and Kampung Peruas, Pahang, Malaysia on August 26-28, 2014.
About The Conference
Over the last few decades, rural development has undergone several stages of transformation. An early focus on development was related to the traditional view that development means economic growth, focusing on increased productivity through modernization of the rural sector. Acknowledging that growth was often accompanied by inequality leads to a concern with distribution and social justice. This necessarily emphasizes meeting basic needs of the deprived groups. In the current debate of rural development, the notion of community resilience becomes a new focus in development literature. The concept of community resilience attempts to understand how people respond to internal and external disturbances, whether they are anthropogenic disturbances (human induced) or natural disturbances (i.e.a natural disaster).With the advancei of globalization and the urgency of responding to climate change, there is an urgent need to prepare rural communities to face the threats of both sudden and gradual changes and/or challenges and adopt the development pathways that are conducive to poverty alleviation and innovative uses of natural and human resources.
- To discuss current issues pertaining rural development and sharing experiences from various countries.
- To look into the extent to which rural development policies and practices in the developing world have effectively addressed transition towards greater resilience and more sustainable development.
- To share the best practices and experiences in managing and implementing rural change and the improvement of the quality of life and nurturing a development pathway that increases resilience and the sustainability of communities.
Authors are invited to submit abstracts describing their original research. Areas covered by the conference includes but not limited to:
- Rural planning and policy
- Community resilience
- Rural sustainable project experiences
- Rural governance and leadership
- Community participation/engagement
- Sustainable rural economic development
- Agricultural practices
- Rural infrastructure
- Rural culture and identity
- Rural women and development
- Case studies on rural development
- Abstract Submission : 15/04/2014
- Abstract Acceptance Notification : 30/04/2014
- Full Paper Submission : 30/07/2014
- CONFERENCE : 26-28 /08/2014
Conference Registration and Fees
Accommodation during the conference and local transportation, including field trip will be provided for all presenters and RRPG members. A registration fee of RM 300.00 (USD100.00) will only be charged for non-presenter participants (plus RM200.00 for field trip).
Abstracts and full papers will be assessed by the scientific committee of RRPG. Selected papers will be published in special issues of Jurnal Teknologi by UTM Press.
All abstract, full paper, poster and/or exhibition materials should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Secretariat) and also forwarded to: email@example.com
- Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Ngah, Conference Co-Chairman, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. Tel: +607-5537330 l Fax: +607-5566155 l Email: firstname.lastname@example.org l Mobile: +(6)013-7524206
- Dr. Khairul Hisyam Kamarudin, Tel: +(6)03-22031350 l Email: email@example.com l Mobile: +(6)019-2659841
In collaboration with: